Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Don't Sit on the Fence


This is my favorite sign from the amusement park not too far from where I live.  I'm sure it was meant to be a joke (who would even think about sitting on this fence?), but it really made me think.  Sometimes, even though we know that the consequences of our actions will be unpleasant, we can get caught up in the moment.  Maybe there's something on the other side of that fence that appeals to us, and if we sit on it just for a moment, we'll be closer to whatever that thing may be.  We look past the warning signs in order to satisfy our wants and desires.

I'm also starting to discover that many times there are consequences for inaction, too.  We are given warning signs and instructions, and even though we know that following these signs will make us happier, we, for various reasons, stop following them.  Take me for example.  I know that exercising makes me feel good.  I know that I'll be happier.  But I don't do it.  Some of it is laziness, some is lack of time or motivation.  Whatever it is, though, I've stopped - even though I know that I will be greatly rewarded if I just do it.  The same can be said for eating right and family prayer and Family Home Evening.  All those things that I've been instructed to do and know that I will be rewarded for, but don't consistently do. 

The scriptures are full of examples of this type of behavior - from Eve partaking of the forbidden fruit to Samson being with Delilah to Laman and Lemuel who saw angels and felt the power of God many, many times, yet still chose to be disobedient and wicked and lead their people away from the Lord.  Even the brother of Jared, whom I spoke of yesterday as being "highly favored of the Lord", fell into this trap.

And it came to pass that the Lord commanded them that they should go forth into the wilderness, yea, into that quarter where there never had man been.  And it came to pass that the Lord did go before them, and did talk with them as he stood in a cloud, and gave directions whither they should travel. (Ether 2:5)

Jared, his brother, their families and friends where actually being led through the wilderness by the Lord himself.  They spoke with him.  They knew him.  And then they arrived at a resting place in their journey to their final destination of the Promised Land.  They stayed there for four years.

And it came to pass at the end of four years that the Lord came again unto the brother of Jared, and stood in a cloud and talked with him.  And for the space of three hours did the Lord talk with the brother of Jared and chastened him because he remembered not to call upon the name of the Lord. (Ether 2:14)

The Lord had taken the brother of Jared and his people to safety, where they had forgotten him.  I'm sure that they didn't consciously decide that they didn't need Him anymore.  They just became comfortable.  They were happy.  It's not that they didn't need God anymore - they got complacent.  And He called them on it.

The brother of Jared and his colony of people were sitting on that fence and they didn't even know it.  If it's that easy for someone who has actually been in the presence of God to forget to call on Him, how much easier is it for me, just plain old me, to forget?  Very easy.  I think there are a few areas in my life in which I can definitely say that I'm on the fence.  It's not a pleasant place to be, but I've been there so long that I don't even feel the pokes in the behind anymore.  It's time to jump down and start following the signs to a happier me.

No comments:

Post a Comment